Chardon Heritage House

This project resulted from an assessment of a cherished 1962 log cabin located on Chardon Square in the Village of Chardon, Ohio. The 53-year- old cabin was used 160 days a year by more than 25 organizations for meetings and public events, and received heavy use during maple production season, an activity largely celebrated by this community. The facility assessment reported problems ranging from inadequate water supply and bathroom facilities, to poor heating and an aging roof. Plans to replace the facility came to fruition with the opening of the Heritage House.

The 2,900 SF Heritage House is dedicated to the maple syrup industry and history of the community. During the annual maple festival, maple syrup is produced inside the facility, just like it was in the old sugarhouse erected on the square every year.

The new building houses a permanent sugarhouse evaporation display, flexible meeting space, a kitchen, and restrooms. Architectural details including the acid-stained maple leaf stamps in the concrete on the porch, a seat wall created from reclaimed sandstone from the 1868 courthouse, custom barn doors and handles crafted by local artisans, cottage-style windows, a retaining wall constructed with reclaimed sandstone from the foundation of a Chardon home, and a fireplace mantel hand-crafted from 150-year- old Geauga County barn timbers, all speak to the heritage of the community.